Liverpool are through to the semi-finals of the EFL Cup after a 2-0 win over Championship side Leeds United at Anfield.
The Reds will play Southampton in January as they look to make it to a second consecutive final.
Having gone back and watched the Leeds game, here are my takeaways from the victory.
1. When Liverpool played Spurs in the last game, Jurgen Klopp made changes but the team seemed to play the same way. That wasn’t the case against Leeds. Things looked disjointed and the pressing wasn’t very good at all.
2. Sadio Mane is having a little slump in form at the minute. His pace and ability to beat a man means he’s always a dangerous player but his decision-making looks a bit scrambled at the moment.
3. Kevin Stewart played in the ‘number six’ role but his passing wasn’t up to standard. He was too safe at times and this Liverpool team won’t function well if that’s the case.
4. Trent Alexander-Arnold had a wonderful game. He defended pretty well and was constantly up and down the pitch. His cross was superb too. In fact, I’m not sure regular right-back Nathaniel Clyne has the delivery that t Alexander-Arnold does.
5. Gini WIdjnaldum was unlucky not to score a few times as he played in a more advanced role. He looks comfortable playing further up the pitch and is a definite option in the front three going forward. His calmness on the ball is highly impressive and his movement is great.
6. Lucas is usually very good in the air but for some reason, he often lets the ball bounce rather than heading it away. He was lucky not to get caught out doing that on a few occasions.
7. Ben Woodburn is only a young kid and it’d be wrong to expect too much from him but you can just see by watching him that he has great goalscorer instincts. He nearly scored when Wijnaldum’s shot came back off the post and he got into a great position to get his goal too. It was a finish from close range but he took it well, hammering it high so the goalkeeper had no chance to save it.