Just a few days ago, if football Twitter was to be believed, it looked as if Liverpool had identified their main centre-back target in Lille’s Sven Botman.
However, the probability of the transfer was soon rebuffed by James Pearce and the Reds were seemingly back to square one.
Since then, Jurgen Klopp’s have dropped yet more points away from Anfield by losing at Southampton on Monday night, during which midfield duo Jordan Henderson and Fabinho deputised at the centre of defence.
The Athletic’s David Ornstein has now confirmed Pearce’s stance on Botman whilst casting yet more doubt over the champions’ transfer wishes.
Speaking on the Ornstein and Chapman Podcast, he said the club were hoping to launch a title challenge with the defenders they have at their disposal, saying: “Not now, and not necessarily going forward either. That can change. The consistent line from multiple people and not just the club is that Liverpool will hope to go with what they’ve got.”
Ornstein also touched on the potential pursuit of the Dutch centre-back as he claimed: ”Sven Botman, there’s a lot of interest in him from multiple clubs. I’ve also been told by a number of sources – not just Liverpool – that there is nothing concrete or advanced with Liverpool.”
READ LIVERPOOL VERDICT
Despite the usual caveat of the possibility of the situation changing, further reports of a quiet transfer window for Liverpool won’t improve the mood among Kopites who have been calling for defensive reinforcements this month.
The general consensus is fast developing that a new centre-half arrival is imperative if Klopp’s side are going to retain their hard-earned title.
We tend to agree. Utilising midfielders in unfamiliar positions has upset the whole balance of the side and has been a huge reason behind the recent dip in performances.




