Paul Merson believes Liverpool made the right decision not to pursue Manchester City centre back Marc Guehi this season as Ibrahima Konate continues to impress.
After months of speculation linking the defender with a move to Anfield, Manchester City snapped up Guehi for a cut price of £20 million in January.
Having been pipped to the Englishman’s signature, many fans had been left frustrated by the Reds’ failure to secure defensive reinforcements.
This feeling has resurfaced recently, following injuries to Giovanni Leoni, Connor Bradley, Joe Gomez, Jeremie Frimpong, and Waturo Endo.
The situation has left Arne Slot with just two senior centre-backs to choose from lately.
Moreover, with Ibrahima Konate enduring a tough season amid rumours linking him with a free transfer to Real Madrid, this frustration has only intensified.
However, speaking in his Sportskeeda column, Paul Merson believes Liverpool made the right decision to stick with Konate.
Merson: Liverpool starting to look like their ‘old selves’
Arne Slot has endured a difficult second season as Liverpool manager after storming to the Premier League title last year.
Despite beginning their title defence with five straight wins, the Reds’ form has been plagued by inconsistency.
Liverpool head into their crucial clash with Nottingham Forest three points outside the Champions League places in sixth.
However, after a run of four wins in five in all competitions, Merson believes Liverpool are looking back to their best after a difficult few months.
Previewing Sunday’s games, the former Arsenal player said, “Liverpool destroyed Sunderland last time out.
“I haven’t seen any other team do that to Sunderland at the Stadium of Light this season.
“Ibrahima Konate and Mohamed Salah starting to look like their old selves has helped Liverpool.”
Konate’s turnaround justifies Liverpool’s Guehi decision
Whilst Liverpool have scored 20 goals in seven matches since Salah returned from AFCON, Merson went on to single out Konate for the Reds’ upturn in fortunes.
“You don’t play for Liverpool if you’re not a good defender, so Konate must have the trust of everyone at the club”, said Merson.
“Otherwise, Liverpool would have gone all in for Guehi.”
After losing his father, the Frenchman returned to the side in Liverpool’s 4-1 rout of Newcastle in an emotional night for the center back.
Konate fought back the tears as he marked his return with a goal at the Kop end in a touching moment for the Frenchman.
Since then, the Frenchman has put in a string of solid performances, helping the Reds to back-to-back clean sheets for only the second time this season.
Liverpool’s best XI is a lot clearer now
Merson was also much more positive about the Liverpool team as a whole.
After a busy summer transfer window, which saw the Reds spend a whopping £446 million, the Sky Sports pundit believes Slot’s best XI is finally starting to emerge.
“The Liverpool line-up also looks quite settled now. A few weeks ago, we had no idea who would be in the starting XI. But now, at least nine players are nailed on and that has made a difference to them. I expect a comfortable win.”
A comfortable win is exactly what Liverpool need against Forest, as the race for Champions League football heats up.




